well, I finally got around to trying that experiment, and I gotta say
that the odd behaviour only displays itself when you've actually got
sv_cheats 1 and sv_showhitboxes 2 turned on. I tried it and it behaved
exactly like that video showed. As the bot ran past a doorway opening
I could indeed see the hitbox out there in front of the bot's model.
And I did indeed have to shoot the hitbox out in front of it. But then
setting sv_showhitboxes -1 and sv_cheats 0 and trying the same thing
didn't exhibit the same results. As the bot ran past the doorway if I
shot in front of it I didn't hit it. I had to shoot at the model, not
where the hitbox appeared to be when sv_showhitboxes was set to 2. So
I fail to see any problems here except for the fact that the hitboxes
and models aren't drawn in the same positions **when you have two
cvars set to values that they would never be set to on a real
server.**

On 5/11/05, Bud Ingram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From: "Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [hlds] mp_showhitboxes
>

> > I think that valve should hide or remove a lot of console commands to stop
> > the community from destroying itself with its own ignorance :)
> >
> > That video is a perfect example of why this would be a good idea!
>
> Unless the video has been properly refuted by the developer, I believe that
> it is a good example of a situation that needs to be corrected.  Your
> suggestion that the community is destroying itself with it's own ignorance
> is not helping to suggest one way or another that it is or isn't a design
> flaw with the multiplayer portion of the Source Engine.
>
> If this situation has already been handled, say by -tickrate or max fps,
> server side, then fine -- but I do not recall seeing such a degree of
> separation between the model and actual hit-boxes being discussed with
> server variables as part of the context.  I know that there was some
> discussion over accuracy and increased FPS server side (dedicated), but this
> is a listen server, the server is showing the hit-boxes, correct?  How does
> this explain any issues with lag or latency when the author of the video is
> describing the situation through use of a Bot on his own server (listen)?
>
> Please feel free to express your wisdom on the situation so that we aren't
> "ignorant".
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Bud Ingram

Clayton Macleod