Yes indeed you can use the principle to do any cvar of course.

The only thing you need to watch out for are potentially lines might
be written like so:

sv_something 1; sv_somethingelse 2; maxplayers 234; mp_another 0;

As a solution you could build a parser with the for loop command which
produces a carriage return after every semi-colon. But don't forget
that you need to ignore semi-colon's inside of certain parenthesis.
Isn't parsing fun? - You probably don't need to worry, but if you
wanted to be complete...

...just a sidenote.