Try GameMon.

http://www.mammoth.com.au/software.php

Its free/open source so you can modify it if you need to.

It can restart the server daily (or every X hours) as well as restart it if
it fails.

Heres an example usage that would restart the server daily at 5am:

Gamemon -d "c:\srcds " -c "c:\srcds\srcds.exe -game cstrike" -g a2s -p 31000
-h 5 -m 0 --timeout 30

This would start srcds.exe with the parameter -game cstrike from c:\srcds.

-p 31000
Tells gamemon what port to query to check the server is alive.
-h 5 and -m 0 tell it to restart at 5am (0 minutes).

-g a2s, tells gamemon to query the server using the a2s qstat protocol
("-a2s query Half-Life 2 new server")

--timeout 30 means gamemon will restart the process if it fails to receive a
query response for more than 30 seconds.

The same protocol should work for HL1 servers as well.

Type gamemon with no parameters to see a complete list of options.

Works for both windows and linux.

Remember to grab the latest qstat (the one posted at qstat.org is 2.8 which
is old).

You can get the win32/linux qstat 2.10 from

Cheers,
Andrew