Windows is -not- an realtime OS... you will never get a deterministic
behavior to the way you want it. ACPI's default time quantum is crap,
TSC is better but it doesn't work for SMP. So you have to decide
which is better, ACPI with SMP and 512fps maximum, or TSC-like with
single processor support and 1000fps maximum.

Valve can't fix it because it's not broken (it's an OS/hardware issue
with ACPI, alfred can tell you more about it)
MS is generally terrible for their time quantum's and other things.