Ah so your saying we need to bind them to other CPU's, and not
to allow them to use the available CPU's.

Unfortunately I dont think that's going to be an option as we're
not just talking CS on a machine here and the fact that servers
are dynamically created and moved around machines means
its virtually impossible to determine which CPU core out of
the 4 available on a machine a specific instance should be bound
to. Its why the OS has a scheduler which enables it to determine
just that.

Just how prevalent was the bug anyway? Yes we all have crashes
but nothing significant enough that would mean a fix that causes
this much pain is worth it.

Is it mainly a client issue? If so how about only setting affinity only
when not running in dedicated server mode?

I know the real fix is going to take some time but it seems
that the current one is going to cause more issues than it solves.

I know we've been running dual processor boxes since the
year dot and its not been a significant issue hence the removal
of the current fix, from a server admins point of view, would
be the lesser of two evils. Possibly a -beta noaffinity?

N.B. CS is not the only game to suffer from this issue. One of
the patches from iD for Quake4 had the same issue and they
backed it out pretty dam sharpish when it was brought to their
attention.

Sorry to harp on about this but it is a major issue for us and any
admin who has multi "core" machines, be that dual core or multi
CPU, which I suspect is a very high proportion of us.

   Steve