The following is from the steam support web site.
If they wrote it wrong go tell them moron.

"SERVER FPS CONTROL
HLDS Servers render frames independently from the Client.

HLDS Servers use the CVAR sys_ticrate to control how many frames per second
are rendered.

SRCDS Servers use the CVAR FPS_max to control how many frames per second are
rendered.

Why do you need to control this?

There are two good reasons for you to manage the server FPS. The number one
reason is loading on your Server CPU. The higher the FPS the higher the load
 If you are getting more then 50% CPU utilization with your current FPS
settings, you are either running too many players or you have the FPS set
too high.

HLDS Servers start with a default of 60FPS and can easily run up to 1000FPS
(sys_ticrate 1000)

SRCDS Servers start with a default of 300FPS can can also run up to 1000FPS
but will require a substantially higher performance CPU to support this.

Win32 Servers should be run on WIN2K / XP Pro platforms with HLDS on a 1
8GHz CPU and a minimum of 512MB of RAM and SRCDS Servers should be run on 2
2GHz CPUs minimum with 512MB of RAM.

You see any sys_tickrates in there dumbass.  Fucking know it all,  get a
life beyond an Internet forum.