Yes but what is the esrb rating on most hl1 games?  You guessed it... Rated
M for mature.  It is not valve's job to enforce the M rating on the game.
It is the job of the retailers to not sell the game to minors and then the
job of the parents to monitor what their children "consume".  You can't
argue that it should be taken down because an 8 year old could see a banner.
You could maybe argue that a porno banner because it actually appeared to
come "from" valve leads them to disable it to reduce their liability.  But
then could not also a spray in game appear to come "from" valve, because you
see it in game?  I suppose valve should have never brought hl1 and hl2 to
market because an 8 year old could accidently see it, if we were to use your
they don't need to joining to see that in their face argument.

If people want to let their kids play mature games then they should merely
make a setting that would disable the banner and sprays... Oh wait that
already exits... It is called the cl_allowdownloads cvar.  Wouldn't this
cvar disable the banner downloads, fast downloads, and any custom content
that did not come with the default game and disable sprays also?  Seems like
people that let their kids play mature games and are concerned about them
seeing that material should use that setting and monitor their children.