My orginal post was not meant to bring this to the whole, children playing
HL, I've been on game servers, and there have been children there.

But I'm still getting an BF2 game advert in SvenCoop, while its comming up
when I connect to my own server, personaly id rather have my website or
something else placed there.

I've not tried other mods to see if it is in that, but I've seen the Valve
Content logos up a few times recently, where before it was just a black box.

On 10/11/06, Bart King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just to chip into this debate, the ability to display banners while the
> game is loading, in my opinion, would not necessarily be attractive to
> advertisers or sponsors in the first place.
>
> Looking at how commercial advertising generally works, clients request
> that their adverts are shown for a minimum (or optimal) amount of time, so
> the relevant information in regards to the advertisement (e.g. a brand
> name, slogan or other catchy hook) is displayed long enough for the viewer
> to absorb it.
>
> Secondly, online advertisers require the ability to click-through to their
> web site or marketing campaign.  Due to the nature of how the game loads,
> all processing time is transferred to loading of the game, thus user
> interactivity is generally unresponsive (as a side problem, because of this,
> animated banners become an issue, too).
>
> So, mitigating problems that also come from having banners displayed at
> load time include that the time taken to load can vary quite wildly, and
> opening a web browser while the game is full-screen just to view an
> advertisement is something that isn't going to happen.
>
> Without these abilities, displaying a banner advert is mostly a waste, and
> relying on the user remembering about your product an hour later when they
> stop playing.  That's not going to work.
>
> And also related, how many users actually read the MOTD on game
> servers?  Maybe one or two, so that's not an attractive option either :)
>
> Lastly, to chip in on the whole "this isn't appropriate for kids" debate,
> kids generally are attracted to things that aren't appropriate for them -
> that's what kids do.
>
> Also, parental awareness about computer games is generally fairly low, and
> various governmental or charity campaigns largely get unnoticed by these
> parents.  I'm sure if it was explained to parents that Counter-Strike
> involves killing and brutally maiming terrorists and counter-terrorists in a
> quick-fire civil war, things might not necessarily go down too well!
>
> And finally, to reply to Steve's comment about adding a cvar for a banner
> being "one line of code", I can see you're not a software developer :)
>
> --
> Bart King
> http://www.bart666.com -- +44 781 219 5654

.: =CATS= Gaming :.
.: http://www.catsgaming.com :.
.: This email contains information that maybe confidential if your not the
intended recipient, please delete this email :.