From: [GS]Admin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 4:54 PM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: Re: [hlds] Post-outage thoughts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roman Hatsiev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>

 Unfortunately things happen -
> 9/11, New Orleans, you name it - so no single location in a world is
> good enough for Steam.

Yeah but even internic had power after Katrina hit.They where underwater in
their parking garage but the websites based out of there still had
power,internet ect.It's a large investment called UPS power supply units.For
whatever reason the datacenter,I'm thinking more like their home offices,
didn't have backup generators.I host most of my servers out of theplanets
datacenter and they have multiple backups.Like this listed from their site:

DLLSTX2
(3) 500KVA Powerware UPS units, 90 batteries each
1-megawatt generator (2000 gallon tank)
1.5-megawatt generator (2200 gallon tank)

DLLSTX4
(2) 500KVA Powerware UPS units, 90 batteries each
1.5-megawatt generator (2200 gallon tank)

DLLSTX5
(6) 500KVA Powerware UPS units, 120 batteries each
3.5-megawatts of generating capacity

DLLSTX6
(2) 750KVA MGE UPS units (expanding to 6 750 KVA UPS units)
2-megawatt generator (adding two more)

And that's just one datacenter company.Of course those are all different
buildings in the same town but one company.So if a power outtage hits it may
not be able to run for weeks off those units but it would surely be able to
power itself until the power company came out.But even the InterNic network
was powered for weeks via deliveries of diesel fuel.So as long as you can
get gas and keep the generators pumping you've got power.

It really boggles my mind that something that is ,in my opinion, a backbone
of the steam network would be powered out of one building.I figured they had
it spread out from coast to coast and across several continents.But I can
imagine they don't trust anyone with the servers that control user auth
systems and I can see why.But damn.Have a master that updates the hard files
one who bought what ect then simply use slaves that update from the master
every 10 minutes or something with just the "oks" ect.Kinda like a dns
server but for gaming auths.Anyways I've gotten long winded.

-BeNt-
http://www.gorillazsouth.com