I think your missing the point.  It is not that hard to create an
authentication system that is based on more than one geographical location.
Database replication is not something new and exotic.   Combine that with
extra servers and some old fashioned DNS and the system would have been
accessible.

If a nuke went off I wouldn't complain if steam went offline.  But that's
not what happened.  A geographical based storm happened and to think that
these "things" don't happen was an obvious mistake.  Katrina should have
been a wake-up call for any company having all their eggs in one basket.