Steam network went down.

Steam network did not need to go down.

Therefore, something could have been done to prevent
the Steam network from going down.

That's all there is to it.  We are not discussing
real-world impact because this is not a list meant for
that kind of discussion.  This is a discussion about
the Steam server platform.  The network went down and
players were unable to play.  Why should we come up
with a new infrastructure for Valve?  They have 100 or
so employees, they should do it themselves; it should
have been done a long time ago.  THAT IS THE POINT.