I have switches to connect my domain controller to my file server to my
laptop.
the UPS was $1 at the school surplus sale, and was not even my best find.
How else will I back up my profile automatically, and install software
on my HP laptop that breaks like every 3 months and needs to get
software and data back on it again.
Also, I use the switch to connect my game servers (dual pIII 1.3 ghz
with soon to be a gig of ram each, and no CD drive, or usb booting
support that cost $5.00 each and come with a 4 hour parts delivery
warranty until October next year) to my RIS server to install windows
without CD's, but with cheap cd keys we get at school.
If you know a better way for free to get access to my 950 gigabyte file
server, while it is not a DC because that slows it down a ton, and have
the ability to access it securely from anywhere on the internet, install
windows without a cd drive, and be able to instantly recover from my
laptop deciding it doesn't like me, please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
oh and soon I will be doing off site replication of important shares
between my dorm and my parents house in case of a disaster like the
sprinklers spraying that rusty copper conducting water on my servers, or
their house burning down.

no vlans here, switches are like $2.00 for a 16 port 10/100 with more
than 1.6 gbps internal bandwidth NIB on ebay, so I just use switches and
wrt54g's with dd-wrt v.23 firmware to segment my network.

oh and yes I did say that.

Ryan Brady wrote:
did somebody say they have switches and routers in thier dorm room on ups's?
what in the world would you need a switch in your dorm room for? multiple
vlans in your room? anyway, redundancy is always important. but you are
right, it is not cost effective.  Remember though, not that steam supports
more and more games (and gets paid for it) would it not be more attractive
for developers to know that someone will be able to play thier game no
matter what the weather is like in seattle?