Nice sentiment, how does it apply to our GarrysMod Server as sold by Valve
which have been broken since the last update?> Subject: RE: [hlds] Source
Multiplayer Update Released> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 09:27:53 -0500> > Hmmm...
not sure about the "Dark Forces" thing but I don't blame Valve one bit for not
concerning themselves with 3rd party stuff.  It truly is the responsibility of
the third parties to react to what Valve does... not the other way around.  I
don't think the third parties object to following Valves lead... third party
responsibility is not really the issue here.> > Valve has taken on the rather
formidable task of being responsible for every server out there when they make
updates "mandatory" and distribute the updates at startup or force customers to
run an update tool.  I don't envy Valve their burden but it is self inflicted.
A selected community comprised of a representative collection of various
platforms and environments for the purpose of testing updates before having
them shot into the veins of the entire community would go a long way to
reversing the cycle of Valve updates... servers crash.  Lets face it, if there
weren't a problem we wouldn't be having this discussion so lets identify the
issues without prejudice and resolve the problem.> > > -----Original
Message-----> From: Chris Barnett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Wednesday,
March 14, 2007 3:41 AM> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Subject: RE: [hlds]
Source Multiplayer Update Released> > > Call me a cynic, but don't be too
surprised if they take you up on that> offer, forcing you to sign an NDA and to
test the thing with NO PLUGINS.> > And we'll all still be back where we were.>
> There's a whole army of "Valve Vanilla" lovers out there, who have Valve>
surrounded and they will stop at nothing to make sure that nothing is done> to
help to situation. They see any third party plugins as an insult to the> games
and they believe they have the right to see 40,000 vanilla source> servers in
their game browser with no plugins.> > Believe me, these people WILL petition
moan, moan and moan some more at> Valve as to why they are giving ANYONE who
runs ANY third party server> plugin the time of day.> > You have been warned.>
> For me, it's a pubic beta, with no strings attached. That way, at least the>
plugin developers can patch their plugins against what Valve has on their>
radar.> > Let's be clear about what we want here please. Because if we let the
vanilla> crowd get away with it, will still have thousands of broken servers
and they> will be making the case to Valve that the plugin servers are more
trouble> than they are worth.> > Be careful my brothers in arms...there are
dark forces at work here......> > Chris Barnett> U75CLAN> > -----Original
Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Michael Jordan> Sent: 14 March 2007 01:34> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>
Subject: RE: [hlds] Source Multiplayer Update Released> > I would love to see a
separate list or distribution system that is dedicated> to game server
operators who volunteer as testers for the updates before> they are released.
It would work out more of the bugs and cut down on a lot> of bad feelings
toward Valve. It would certainly make me feel a lot more> comfortable when I
run the hldsupdate tool.> > > > -----Original Message-----> From: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian M. Frain> Sent:
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:59 PM> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Subject: RE:
[hlds] Source Multiplayer Update Released> > Hear Hear!> > > -----Original
Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Edgar Ortega> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 2:01 PM> To:
hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Subject: RE: [hlds] Source Multiplayer Update
Released> > This is probbaly one of the most truthful statements that has been
said time> and time again:> > "The craziest thing is that the entire server
community is willing to help> but Valve apparently prefers to go it alone."> >
Valve has one of the most faithful and trusting communities around, we offer>
our time, services, and even our money to Valve and its products to help> make
their games and our gaming communities be strong and fruitful. We> co-exist,
and because of that we are always willing to and would rather help> out with
betas than get faulty patches. I hope this is one of the last times> these
kinds of incidents occurs, because as of late, I am reading of more> and more
server ops just saying to hell with Steam and HLDS altogether and> it seems the
primary reason is the "big balls" attitude that Valve seems to> have with
pushing shit down the very same throats of the server ops and the> communities
that have helped make your company what it is to-date. Its not> an encouraging
thing to read.> > - [Me109] PenDragon> > -----Original Message-----> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Edward Luna> Sent:
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:26 PM> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Subject: RE:
[hlds] Source Multiplayer Update Released> > What Valve is trying to do is
simply not doable.  You cannot make updates> "required" but not have tested
them on every platform they run on.  We have> all seen this over and over
again... Valve issues updates and working> servers crash.  I'm no trashing
Valve... they are exceptionally good at> being reactive to the problems their
updates create... what they need to be> is more proactive.  The craziest thing
is that the entire server community> is willing to help but Valve apparently
prefers to go it alone.> > -----Original Message-----> From: Gigabit Nick
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:39 AM> To:
hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Subject: RE: [hlds] Source Multiplayer Update
Released> > > --> > [ Picked text/plain from multipart/alternative ] I second
that.> > Anyone got a working GarrysMod server after the update?, We run two
one> Windows 2003 and both are bust.> > All together now... BETAS HELP TO STOP
RELEASES BREAKING SERVERS.> > > _> >