A lot of the 'idiots' are usually young kids who had the parents buy the
game for them.

They just play the game, somebody else paid for it.

I don't think valve refunds games, so once someone buys the game, it's up to
them to get theirs money worth out of it. And if that requires learning how
to play the game and use the games interface that's their problem, not
valves.

Counter-Strike Source is hard, at least for me. I die in 2 seconds on a
'stock' server.

I paid for Counter-Strike Source.

That does not mean valve should make Counter-Strike source easier for me to
play, it means that I should play more Counter-Strike source if I want to
live longer than 2 seconds.

The situation with the server list is a little different, I guess people are
complaining that every server they go on is different. I agree that this is
a problem that should be resolved. Servers should have the current tags and
server operators should list what changes they have made in their tags. If
valve does this decently I'll have the tags on my server. And I will list a
bunch of changes, even ones that do not affect game play.

Players that do not care about what server they join simply won't use these
new filters, while the ones that do care have the option of using the new
filters and players that then complain they can't find stock servers can be
taken to a little page on the steam help site that explains how to use the
filters.

The custom server admins win.
The vanilla fan boy players win.
The idiots win because now they will learn something new about the game they
just purchased.

Problem solved. Everybody wins.

- voogru.