-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nephyrin Zey
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 10:26 PM
To: Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list; Half-Life dedicated Linux
server mailing list
Subject: [hlds] Nuke Exploit Info and Prevention

The nuke exploit works as follows:

Connect to a server via TCP (rcon, does anything else use TCP? I have
no idea.) on its port.
Send a million garbage packets
???
Profit

The server goes insane handling them.
Solution:
Limit incoming TCP packets to ~1/second from any given IP on that port, *OR*
Block TCP access to the server's port except from trusted people.

Linux IPtables rules:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 27015 -m hashlimit --hashlimit-mode
srcip,dstip,dstport --hashlimit 1/sec --hashlimit-burst 1
--hashlimit-name TF_PACKET_LIMIT -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 27015 -j DROP

/etc/init.d/iptables save
/etc/init.d/iptables start

(Note: you probably shouldn't enable iptables blindly if you don't
know what you're doing)

Windows:
Block TCP to 27015 except for trusted people. Or something. Someone
who admins window servers will need to guide you!

- Neph
(sv_benchmark_force_start fix coming in a few minutes)