I've actually made a few Steam backups in anticipation of demos
breaking, but the problem is that you cannot restore said backups and
launch TF2 without updating the TF2 client to the latest version.
Having the latest version of TF2 is also a prerequisite to switching
to offline mode!

Any thoughts?

Ryan