Valve should really add the AMX style menus back to HL2DM. The code is
inside, it just needs to be activated in a .res file.

hl2mp/scripts/HudLayout.res:

    HudMenu
    {
        "fieldName" "HudMenu"
        "visible" "1"
        "enabled" "1"
        "wide"     "640"
        "tall"     "480"
        "zpos"     "1"
        "TextFont"        "Default"
        "ItemFont"        "Default"
        "ItemFontPulsing"    "Default"
    }

    HudRadio
    {
        "fieldName"            "HudRadio"
        "TextFont"            "Default"
        "visible"            "1"
        "xpos"            "10"
        "ypos"            "c"
        "wide"            "Default"
        "tall"            "Default"
        "text_ygap"            "2"
        "TextColor"            "255 255 255 192"
        "PaintBackgroundType"    "0"
    }

And you have to bind 8 to slot8, 9 to slot9 and 0 to slot10. Thats it.
All plugins would be able to send AMX style messages to the users again.

I think thats not too much to do. Please Valve, add that little thing
back to HL2DM by default.

Source: http://www.tcmagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2451