Apart from the fact that it took me a while to realise the custom tab was
there when it was first implemented, my main issue with it is that it is
STILL not in the out of game, steam server list.

I think the tags should still be there, but instead of shunting the servers
off to the custom tab where no-one looks, allow them to be searchable via
filters. If something like this was happening instead of the custom tab
arrangment, we wouldnt be trying so hard to circumvent this in the first
place. The fact is, if your on the custom tab, people dont come.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 9:01 AM, Blood Letter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> The last thing Valve wants to do is get in a war with the mod writers over
> this.
> Every TF2 update will include a patch to the delisting code, and every mod
> update will include a patch for that.
>
> I'm a server admin.  I don't know what the tags are.  I don't know how to
> use them.  I don't care.
> I run a game server for people to have fun.  My server run's Beetles Mod
> for administration and reserved slots.
> I have custom maps, but not in my regular rotation.  If the server is
> switched to one, you'll be able to download it lickity split from my
> redirect.
> I see no need for tags in my case.
>
> If you're running a 24/7 or party mode or omg supar low gravity or whatever
> server that can mess with people's stats, achievements, etc., just list it
> in the damned server name.
>
> As for tags/stats/etc....
>
> I'd be more than happy to see Valve do away with the custom tags entirely
> and just give us more robust filter options, and the option to reset our
> stats.
> Ideally, you'd be able to reset individual stats and achievements, and
> track stats over all time, month, week, etc.  Sure, that kind of stat
> tracking is more suited to a mod/plugin, but those would only catch data
> from one server/group of servers, and you wouldn't see them when loading.
>
> The way Valve handled stats seems to have been shortsighted.  When someone
> first gets into TF2, they see their stats at each map load and can see their
> progress, and it's interesting.  It encourages you to try out other classes
> and do better.  After a few weeks/months, you're basically staring at the
> same bars.  Stats don't age well.  A lot of people complain about custom
> servers avoiding the tags because they can ruin their stats.  A lot of
> people want to reset their stats because of this.  I'm willing to be there
> are also a lot of people who would like to reset their stats just because
> they'd like to get a picture of how they're doing now that they're
> experienced with the game.  Stats would a lot more fun for me if I could
> reset them (keeping my unlocks/achievements!) and play for a week or two
> from a blank slate.
>
> If we can't reset our stats, let us reset our stat displays.  Think of it
> as an odometer versus a trip odometer.
>

> > Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:31:02 -0400
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
> > Subject: [hlds] valve, some feedback?
> >
> > Most likely there will be a patch and make some of this more worthless
> > then it already is, but since its been kinda quite the last few days i
> > thought what the heck. No its not beating a long lost dead horse...well
> > maybe a small poke.
> >

> > A while ago valve made mention about delisting servers that are
> > bypassing the custom tags. Now i am not wanting to start a huge thing
> > again on if there should be tags or what not, but i am more wondering on
> [...]

--------
Chillidog Systems - Re-inventing the wheel for the sake of all humanity!
--------