And this would be for every steam game, not just for L4D, correct?

Keep up the good work :)

.> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Date: Mon, 10 Nov
2008 11:35:54 -0800> Subject: Re: [hlds] Status> > In what we're building, this
should be pretty straight-forward.> > Our thinking is that you'll tie a Steam
group directly to your game server, and then allowing people inside of that
group to browse and connect to it. The server would be able to pull people from
this method, and from matchmaking at the same time.> > > > -----Original
Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Alex Smith> Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 11:20 AM> To: Half-Life dedicated
Win32 server mailing list> Subject: Re: [hlds] Status> > Would it be possible
to add a feature, so that we could select our own> server in the match making
system? Rather than using someone else's server.> That way some of us that like
matchmaking can still use the matchmaking> system with our own server.> > > >
The sv_search_key feature is already in place. Why not add an option to the>
matchmaking lobby, so the lobby leader can select a server based on its>
sv_search_key setting.> > > > That alone would give me a lot more incentive to
keep my dedicated servers> up after the game is released. Its nice to be able
to use our own servers.> > > On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Erik Johnson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:> > > First off, thanks to everyone for running
servers for the demo. We knew> > going into the release that we were going to
need to figure out some ways to> > make it worth it for server administrators,
and now we have a ton of> > feedback to work with.> >> > Right now we're
looking at ways that server administrators can both build a> > community around
their game server (by subscribing to matchmaking) as well> > as service their
group of "regulars" that play on their server. Hooking game> > servers into
Steam Community is going to be our first step, and we're> > working on that
now.> >> > There is a key difference between Left 4 Dead and games like
Counter-Strike> > and Team Fortress in terms of matchmaking that we wanted to
solve, and> > didn't think the server browser could accomplish. In CS and TF2,
you can> > have 2 or 3 players leave in the middle of a game, have their slots
filled> > by new people, and everyone else's experience doesn't completely
suffer.> > When a player or two leaves Left 4 Dead the game suffers quite a
bit, and we> > were worried that the server browser model wasn't the right one
for this> > game. In hindsight, there are a number of cases where the server
browser> > does a better job than the new matchmaking system does, so it is
highly> > likely that we'll be adding it back in soon. It isn't trivially easy
to turn> > back on, but there is overlap between it and the Steam Community
work we'd> > like to do.> >> > Right now we're working toward getting that
release out within a week or> > so.> >> > There are a number of Valve employees
reading all of the posts on this> > list, and while we can't reply to every
question that comes across, the> > discussions here are ones we reference
commonly when talking about what to> > do next internally.> >> >