The point is, that's how server operators want to run their server.
People on this mailing list really have it in their heads that there is
only 1 way to run a server. But I digress.

One advantage is that a game hosting company wants to limit what type of
games can be run, so that they don't oversell or max out their hardware.
It is crazy to have to assume that every L4D server you run is always
running at 8 players so that you don't tax your CPU and RAM. If it were
possible to allow Campaign or Versus ONLY, it would be easier to
estimate hardware usage.

Another advantage is exactly what you said. I run a game community, and
I want to provide a Campaign server and a Versus server for my players.
I can't explicitly do that right now.

The point is that we should be able to.