What exactly does the switch -nomaster do? I managed to play around on my
testbox yesterday with verses maps and it seemed to keep people out while it I
had it passworded.

________________________________
From: Kevin Ottalini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:35:54 AM
Subject: Re: [hlds] Start more then 10 Servers on Windows

Start your server IP addresses at some higher port number like 27100 and go
up from there.
You can disable the srctv port on the launch properties: -nohltv

The cl ports will stop being assigned at 27014 but those shouldn't cause any
problems (I have players on right now with a server like that)
You better have 3+GB of memory on that system, 11ea  L4D SRCDS servers took
up 2.75GB on my test system (with no players).
http://qsextreme.com/L4D/11_SRCDS_L4D_Win32.PNG

I found that turning off the log echo helped the lag a bit, especially with
a lot of servers:
sv_logecho 0

Very odd, I had all those servers set -nomaster (and password) and I joined
one with a client to check it, suddenly the server was full of players!

Apparently -nomaster (along with sv_password) is not honored by the lobby
system either so that is not a secure method of locking either.

hehe, hats off to Valve for getting players into servers even under the most
challanging of circumstances!