nomaster stops your server asking to be listed on the master server list.
So aye, while it doesn't stop people connecting to your server, it makes it
a helluva lot less likely they'll find it to begin with.  If you're wanting
a genuinely private server (and not a restricted-to-a-certain-community one)
then you should set that