If you guys would like to get some detailed documentation going for dedicated
servers, feel free to use www.l4dwiki.org

I set it up a month or two ago and have just let the community run it. There's
already info about windows dedicated servers, but the more info the better.
It'd be nice if we could throw everything we've confirmed in there so we don't
have to weed through all of these emails to find something little.

.> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:20:29 -1000> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
hlds@list.valvesoftware.com> Subject: Re: [hlds] How about some server
instructions and server.cfg files?> > It's too bad Daitengu let serverwiki.org
die ... that was a good place> to document anything game server related. Anyone
got his phone number> and care enough to give him a call? :P I tried sending
him an e-mail> awhile back but never got a response....> > mauirixxx>
-----Original Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of David Kellaway> Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:44 AM> To:
Half-Life dedicated Win32 server mailing list> Subject: Re: [hlds] How about
some server instructions and server.cfg> files?> > Srcds.com doesn't really go
beyond getting the game installed, which is > the easiest part (one
command-line command, one shell script and a five > minute coffee break). I
think what people would like to see is a more > complete set of documentation
on configuring map cycles and MOTDs, the > peculiarities of each game,
workarounds for any bugs that pop up, etc.> > It seems there are a lot of "how
do I configure x" questions on this > list, and they're mostly referring to
cvars or files that would be very > easy to change if people just knew they
existed or how to get at them.> > -Dave> > steve grout wrote:> > i find
srcds.com is all that's needed :)> >> > David Kellaway wrote:> > > >> I have
some unfinished rough documentation I wrote for myself a while> > >> back.
Would anyone be interested if I were to transfer that into a > >> wiki format
as a general resource for server stuff?> >>> >> -Dave> >>> >> ccfan4326 wrote:>
> [...]
documentation,> >>> what's so wrong about that? I'm not trying to whine about
it. I can> >>> get a server up and running just fine, but some better
documentation> >>> would make it a lot easier.> >>>> >>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008
at 2:54 AM, Olly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> >>> > >>> > >>>> They don't make
it a pain.. If you don't know how to setup servers,> > >>>> then> >>>> maybe
you shouldn't be doing so. There are 1000's of other servers > >>>> that are>
ccfan4326 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> >>>>> >>>> > >>>> > >>>>> What I meant is that
those who rent and host L4D servers are> helping> >>>>> to support the game. I
guess it's not as significant as with> >>>>> CSS/TF2/etc, but yeah. It's not
just Valve either. Why developers> tend> >>>>> to make it a pain for server
admins to setup a server for> MP-centric> >>>>> games I do not know.> >>>>>>