Well, if you guys recall.. For the first few weeks when the medic pack came
out you had to meet a lot more achievements (all of them) to get the last
weapon. One of the larger achievements was to heal a million points and that
was a requirement to get before you could unlock the ubersaw. From what I
heard some people complained about the time required to get that
achievement, and henceforth we have only needed to do a certain few number
of achievements to gain all the milestones.

Anyway, long story short.. I don't mind the achievements being bound to the
weapons, but there needs to be a check or some huge goal in place to keep
people who don't play scout (or said class) often from getting all the
weapons. If people learned to put time into their larger achievements there
would be less of a rush to get out there and farm them. Of course, then
those that just use the unlocker programs become vastly more unfair.

Long story short, people love challenges. Just look at WoW, or the other
MMO's.. People sit on there for months just to get to a level they can use
their armor, or whatever. I don't waste my time with MMO's but it's just
basic human instinct that if a great deal of time is put into something then
the reward is more appreciated and equally revered by those that are in the
process of acquiring it or interested in meeting the achievement themselves.

I'm not saying it should take TONS of time to unlock something, but it would
be nice for the unlocking process to require all the achievements be done
before the last unlockable is given.. Also, it would help for the
achievement actions to be more server-side, and less client-side so it
wouldn't be so easy for people to cheat their way through with an unlocker
program. Maybe some type of verifiable bit framework would be helpful, and
to check/sync the achievement database everytime the client connects so if
their achievements were not in the database, they wouldn't get their weapon
unlocks.

inb4 you know this is valve we're talking about.

-Matt