"Search for valve dedicated server first, then try everyone else" was
already the default behaviour.  By giving people the ability to skip the
search for valve servers, they have in fact increased the chance of your
server having people in it.

However, since the last l4d patch, and continuing in the (unannounced) patch
tonight, my (Linux) servers have been empty.  Since the patch before _that_,
typing "setmaster" has shown an empty list (despite the startup log
mentioning 2 master servers), which I needed to workaround by setting them
manually in server.cfg.  Are both these behaviours still the case for
everyone else?