I have 5 servers right now with Left4Dead running 2 threads each. On each
server I have one virgin and one with sourcemod. Now I am a traditional
server admin, I work with a group managing a farm of about 200 servers and
the one thing that really drives me insane is the lack of official
documentation for the HLDS server or more specifically the Left4Dead
variant. Now before you jump at the reply button I know that l4d runs off
HLDS I guess what I want is a document or some sort by valve that list out
what vars work with this server and which are ignored. beyond that even the
simple things like when the DLC was release the news post stated info about
a lobby message when entering or leaving a server but i can't find any info
on this. Besides the 100px X 100px link on the about section of the
store.steamgames.com page and the 200 line bare minimum read me in the DL
folder nothing else official can be found. Now I know that there are a
zillion webpages and other resource out there and most are good but the
thing is that I know that the server is free and all but if I don't run
public servers and neither does anyone else besides steam l4d would die for
lack of places for players to go. now maybe that is dramatic but you know
all i am asking is show us some love valve get one of your guys to set up a
page off the sdk wiki and show us how it is ment to be run because I know I
can optimize my servers a lot better than this and i have errors all over
the place from unknown cvars and such and that is on the virgin servers
nothing but updates. Now this is the one time that I would love to see
a response saying that I am a dumb@&& n00b with a link to an entire library
of official resources for running HLDS. thanks for reading my ramble and yes
I know I am too anal about just a gmae server but it is now in my DNA I
can't stop it years of reaching for that perfect server can do that to you.
have a good day.
thanks again
Brandon