From: hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com
[mailto:hlds-boun...@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Sanjay B.R
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:50 AM
To: hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds] HDLS Dedicated server

Hello everybody,

I am a newbie to counter strike, i have bought the game condition zero from
steam. I have my friends who have also bought along with me, we intend to
play through internet, and i am having trouble creating a dedicated server.
Find below the steps i did , please correct me if i am wrong. Please guide
me with the steps necessary for achieving this.

Step 1: I downloaded and installed the Counter Strike - Condition Zero from
the steam application.

Step 2: I tried running the "HLDS.exe" present in the path *"D:\Program
Files\Steam\steamapps\<username>\condition zero"* but it threw an error
saying "*This application has failed to start because Steam.dll was not
found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.*"

Step 3: Then i logged into my steam account, downloaded a tool called
"*Dedicated
Server*" and installed it my pc.

Step 4: I started the dedicated server, with the following options.
            Game                : Condition Zero
            Server Name       : <server_name>
            Map                   : <map>
            *Network              : Internet*
            Max. Players      : 10
            UDP Port            : 27016
            RCON Password : <password>
            Secure (Valve Anti-cheat) -> selected

Step 5: Once the server is running, i see that the server has taken my local
ip *192.XX.XX.XX:27016*

Step 6: I start the condition zero game and try looking for the server i
have hosted in the "*Find Servers*" -> "*Internet*" Tab, but my server is
not listed. *
            case a: *I tried adding it in my favorites by using the option "
*Add Server*". This did not list my server too, and i tried connecting
directly, by opening the Console in  condition zero and using the
command "*connect
<ip>:27016*", it said "*Steam validation rejected*".
            *case b: *I asked my friends to search for the server i hosted,
but they too did not find it.

Step 6: So i started from the beginning, till *Step 4* , in step 4 i choose
*LAN* as a Network instead of *Internet*
           *Network              : LAN
*In this case, surprisingly *
**            case a: *I tried adding it in my favorites by using the option
"*Add Server*". This listed my server, but the server info mentioned "*
0.0.0.0*" and status "*Server not responding*"
            *case b: *I asked my friends to search for the server i hosted,
they found it, this time, but it was displaying my server ip as
192.XX.XX.XX:<portno>. which is my local ip provided by my ISP and they were
unable to connect to the server. But one thing is that i am able to join a
game by using the command "*connect <ip>:27016*" it worked.

To summarize the problem statement, *I would like to use HLDS to create a
server, and i will be playing in the same machine, and would want my friends
to join the server through internet.*
Please let me know if i am wrong in any of the above steps.

Thanks in advance
Sanjay