On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM, lwf <l...@rocketblast.com> wrote:
> ffffffff71303030303030303030303030303000

Good old OOB packet spam.

> I'm not entirely sure if it's relevant to the attack, but
> "sv_max_connects_sec" ("Maximum connections per second to respond to
> from a single IP address.") was set to the default "2.0" and it did not
> help other than possibly reducing backscatter, which by itself wasn't
> terribly useful. We're going to try enforcing this in iptables
> instead.

sv_max_connects_sec is for a completely different exploit.

You could drastically lower sv_max_queries_sec_global to help against
the high CPU usage of SRCDS when it's under attack from this, but it
would render your server invisible to players while under attack (and
may not help at that traffic level).
Unfortunately the per-IP one would be useless due to the spoofed addresses.
As you said, you could use IPTables to only limit 'q' OOB packets, but
there is no reason the attacker wouldn't just switch to another packet
type.

Asher.