I have been using these parameters in the command-line for some time, to
explicitly specify what ports to use for the game and for Steam communication:

+port 29016
-steamport 29116

Those ports are explicitly open on by firewall, etc.

While troubleshooting some other issues (that I think are un-related), I
noticed these errors in the logs:

WARNING: Port 27005 was unavailable - bound to port 27006 instead
WARNING: Port 27020 was unavailable - bound to port 27021 instead

What are those ports all about?
Is it not using the -steamport parameter?
or is this yet more communication of some other form?