I did verify that my SRCDS instances are exhibiting exactly the port behaviour
you all mentioned.
I will be modifying more scripts (subtract one from port I number I want to
actually use) for Source-based servers accordingly.

I spend most my my time working with the GoldSrc/HLDS equivalents (+port,
-sport).
I do not see the same thing happening on the older engine (thankfully).

I can't believe this bug/feature hasn't been... eh... "addressed". wow.
You tell something what port to use, you kind of expect it to ... well ..
actually use what you told it to.
It decides to ignore that, and do something different - that's mighty-Microsoft
of them.

Many thanks again everyone.
Especially about the "-strictportbind" thing.
I was totally unaware of that too.

non-Mystery solved!

- Weasel