BTW, Evan added me on Steam to discuss this. Not going to reveal too
much to avoid someone using the exploit with bad intentions.

He said that yes, the not sending usercmds part was right. But, as
some of you would remember, Valve fixed a bug where Medics could
infinitely uber themselves, but infinitely ubering someone else wasn't
fixed. Currently, the client handles the timing of ubercharges. They
end when powerplaytime < clientticktime. clientticktime is only
updated when the client sends a usercmd. No usercmds being sent means
infinite ubercharges.

Packet manipulation could be used, among other methods which I won't reveal.