After running Valve game servers for 8 years and NEVER receiving enough
donations to cover all my expenses, I started using Pinion 3 months ago. The
ads now allow me to break even and save the $150.00/mo I've always paid out
of pocket.

When I saw that Pinion wanted to raise the minimum ad viewing time for
players, I initially responded as many of you are and said "That does it! I
knew it wouldn't last". But this feeling ended up being very premature. The
first thing I did was to announce to our community that this change was
coming and that I needed their support to make it successful. I explained to
them that by viewing 15 seconds of ads every time the map rotated (in
essence about once about every 30-45 mins),  they were in effect supporting
their servers and their community in the form of a donation that they could
otherwise not afford. In return, I did not receive a single negative
response from anyone, in fact, the support and understanding of this was
terrific. Many people actually told me that had they known a longer view of
the ads draws more money for support, they would have viewed the entire ad
to help even more, every time it's played. So in esssence, by putting ads on
my servers, I was actually giving players a way to donate where they never
could afford it before, I love that.

I decided to give it a try and thankfully my servers have remained full just
as they always have been. So asking people to view a 15-second ad is not big
deal to your faithful players, especially if it helps relieve the finanical
strain many of us burdon alone.

Transient (Quickplay and the like) gamers have always been notoriously
disloyal to servers. Would-be complainers aren't really important to me
because they never do shit to help the community anyway, they just suck off
the community and expect everything to be paid for by the money and sweat of
other people like all of you Admins. So if they leave, who cares.

Just my two cents,

Mike Vail