This is how I understand how all this works, please correct me if necessary:

Customizations should (not have) to be saved in a custom/xyz directory or
into custom/xyz.vpk for both client and server.
Downloads from either side are automatically saved into the downloads
folder to keep them separate from shipped files. For the client this is
sounds, maps etc.; for the server mainly (or only?) spray images that are
downloaded from the clients.

.vpks can only be mounted by servers but not shipped (or at least clients
will not use it correctly), also fastdownload does not understand the .vpk
concept which would make this unfeasible even if it worked.

You do not need to care about the custom or download file paths internally.
All files and .vpks are mounted transparently into the logical game
filesystem and override the shipped file if applicable. So when you save
awesomemap.bsp into custom/mymaps/maps it internally still has
maps/awesomemap.bsp as the file path.

So for your mods it all remains the same. You can even put all the loose
files where they used to be, however it is highly recommended to put them
in a custom/mymod folder to keep them separated. Clients will store them in
their download folder so they are separate there aswell. Directory
structures will probably not be copied from the server and it will just be
a large pool of loose files.

If you want to ship your mod as a .vpk you could do that outside of the
game on your homepage. The users could save that .vpk into their custom
directory, any future additional files would be automatically downloaded
into the download folder or the .vpk would have to be updated manually.