With all this talk about how Valve no longer cares and evidence of that
being quite clear, what is keeping all of you in the game? What is keeping
you all hosting servers?

Serious question.

It is clear from what I've read that this game is no longer fun and no
longer worth supporting. Every update that is added is not one that favors
any of you and normally punishes all of you who feel they are legit server
owners/communities, worked hard to stay on the straight and narrow,
followed all the rules and didn't abuse anyone playing on your servers
intentionally. All of your hard work, time, money, effort, stress, and
anything else ends up going to waste and you are constantly getting
screwed. You can't run the maps you want to run because your communities
would die with them and when you run only the stock maps in the most
vanilla way possible and by the rules Valve has imposed to keep the
community afloat, you end up hating to play because it really isn't even
that fun at all. You're tired of 2fort, tired of badlands, tired of
dustbowl, turbine, goldrush/badwater. Tired of 20 second spawn times, tired
of having to keep on to of whether or not your server is registered to
quickplay, tired of keeping in compliance with rules and policies that
Valve clearly does not enforce and uses just as a scare tactic. Tired of
the free publicity that these maverick servers who shouldn't be in
Quickplay, that break all the rules, and abuse the community get due to
dumb things like ads, quickplay placing them on their servers, and how
little effort they actually put in to building their servers. What about
you? You didn't do that at all to the player base yet you get no mention at
all!

You're tired of all of it. Tired of each and every update putting this game
closer and closer to other games that you hate because you knew that this
game was once so much more. It offered so much without being so restricting
and the playerbase gave back to it when Valve wasn't busy adding things to
help hurt EVERYTHING you came to love about the game. The playerbase can't
distinguish between a community server and a Valve server and they only
believe that servers are either Valve or shitty ads-ridden hovels of admin
abuse and general griefing. You want something new and fresh, something
that would have normally re-invigorated the players on your community and
else where, but without actually having to change the game from what it is
to do so. But if you attempt to go outside of the norm with this game as it
is now, you gain nothing but empty servers that you pay all kinds of money
for.

What is stopping you all from just packing it all up and leaving now? What
could possibly be so important that it warrants all this unwanted stress
and expense for absolutely nothing? All the emails and badmouthing and
outrage in the world will not change Valve's decision on anything they've
done and it is quite clear that TF2 is either a testbed for other games to
benefit or a cash cow and that is all. From everything I've read in every
email chain so far, there is more than enough evidence to support that
Valve has summarily turned their backs on you all and they could care less.
"Screw you, got mine." is all you see every time you see a new email or
update or preview or "feature" that they add to this game.

So, I ask you, why do you still bother?