It might save overhead for clients, but certainly not valve.

From our tests valve servers are not being reported by the master server, so your client does not actually get any data about them. The performance goes down as more servers are populated in your list, apply a filter early(under 1k servers or so) and the filter works fine, even after 3k+ servers though it was only a few seconds delay from typing a map name in and getting results.

(I cut a lot of text from this thread, it was too large to submit)

On 7/4/2015 1:49 PM, E. Olsen wrote:

    However I have to say the server browser itself has some severe
    performance issues and takes a lot of CPU to sort just a silly few
    servers (even now with just a handful of community servers its slow).
    It also seems to buffer data so that I have to press refresh at
    least twice, otherwise I get entries that are obsolete (trying to
    connect to them does not work).

I think this is due to how the system works (querying servers in realtime, I believe). It was much, much faster a few years ago before Valve added thousands of their own server to it, which leads me to believe those servers are still being parsed, just not shown (which is certainly not ideal in terms of speed).

I've actually thought there was always a better way to do that. Why not have every server send an info packet to a central database every 30-60 seconds or so, and have the server browser draw all the info from that database instead? The only issue, I believe, would be displaying local ping values for each player, but I'm sure that could be worked out (perhaps, for the purpose of the browser, replace ping with and actual region/location, and allow the player to sort closest server to farthest, etc.)?

At any rate - if there were some way for them to draw the info from a static database instead of querying thousands of servers, I think it would both speed things up, and save alot of overhead.