My understanding is that Slag servers are dying due to issues at an
administrative level, chiefly I suspect, that the key people behind that
community have other things in their agenda (A hat in time anyone?).
Quickplay has little to do with it I suspect, especially as nearly all of
Slag’s servers were ineligible for Quickplay in the first place due to
their modded nature. Further, I would argue that the stagnation and lack of
creation of game modes is due to the fact that private server operators are
no longer co-operating with one another or sharing content for the benefit
of the broader community – That and a lot of talent has drained out of an 8
year old game. It also seems as if it is more common for private operators
to keep things to themselves now a days instead of letting new game modes
proliferate into something bigger and more well known.

The Microsoft vs Apple analogy is perfectly on cue, only a benighted
individual with no understanding of business would suggest otherwise. I’m
guessing Robert is one of those Vegan types who believes that everyone is
their friend and that the phrase “zero sum game” doesn’t apply to game
servers and their audiences. Dr McKay (I think? Might be misattributing,
someone said it on this mailing list a while ago) had it right when he
suggested that the only reason some private server operators hate on Pinion
and Motdgd so much is because they think that the death of private servers
reliant on that revenue model would somehow help their own servers. Sounds
like a pretty competitive environment to me.

in the past, again, that’s not a point I’m arguing against – Rather I agree
with him, in the past privately run servers did a lot of good. My position
is that the deafening silence from the broader Team Fortress community is
indicative of how they feel about the current state of affairs – And
despite whatever clever features Robert might think he’s added and done in
the past, they don’t care right here and now.

releasing a game Valve somehow owes something to private server operators?
That they have no right to say, “We’ve had enough of players being affected
by shenanigans on private-servers!” – You’re wrong, and it is that
self-entitlement which will no doubt win private operators zero favours
from the folks at Valve.

And I can tell Robert what private server operator wouldn’t care a great
deal about Quickplay: One that was smart enough to see what was coming and
had the intellect to get out of hosting stock servers early, instead
focussing their efforts on custom experiences that Valve doesn’t offer at
this point in time. Those who did this are probably doing quite well
compared to those still hosting stock rotation servers and the like. And
yet Robert would seem to suggest that these Quickplay independent operators
are the "stupid" ones. Funny.