I don't know who you are talking to in regards to private custom game mode
servers being 10x less popular. I run a small community with 20 servers in
TF2 and a couple in CS:GO. I don't know if the two are related, however
since the quick play changes my servers have only increased in popularity.
Mostly I think it's because my servers have a lot of custom content and
have been around for 3 years now. My experience maybe different from others
but that's what I'm seeing. Not saying I think anything Valve is doing
regarding quick play and vanilla servers is correct.