As a player I do not see what the issue with ads are. Valve blocked them
for anyone connecting through quickplay and if I am not connecting through
quickplay and I cannot tolerate it at all, then I disable the MOTD.

If you are a community owner, why do you care that other servers have ads?
There are only 2 possible reasons I can see.

1. You think that they are the reason for the quickplay change.
2. You want Valve to kill off your competition for you especially when you
see your own servers dying while people like Andrew have a top server with

#1 has been debunked over and over and over again. Ads were already 100%
blocked for quickplay players for a long time. The real cause was probably
to keep pay2win servers from skirting the quickplay rules. Years before ads
existed, people were abusing fake players to get money through premium
status. Ads did not cause this.

So that leaves #2. Which is really sad because instead of trying to fix the
problem for all communities, people here keep spamming the mailing list
with something that Valve has already considered solved.