I'm not too sure over Valve forcing operators to use SDR - this would require optimised routing pathing in almost every major hosting provider and owned/rented hardware there from Steam for users to route from within each AS for a lot of providers. I can see major providers who aren't yet on the list such as OVH next in line for SDR nodes as they'll likely be working on where to place nodes with good routing and peering for near-identical latency.

I don't see this being forced because it would be impossible to get sufficient coverage with latency at or around identical non-SDR pathings, especially in under-networked areas such as APAC/Aus/South America et cetera.
I could be completely wrong, though. I just hope I'm not, in this case.

-------- Original Message --------
From: Naleksuh [mailto:nalek...@naleksuh.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021, 10:14 PM
To: hlds
Subject: [hlds] Mandatory Team Fortress 2 update released

I'm much more concerned about the SDR thing though. The help pages
indicate it'll be available for community server operators and that they
(possibly?) plan to route *all* traffic through it. I really do not want
this as I prefer to have control over the networking for my servers and
I also don't want it to literally become impossible to play the game
when Steam servers are down

Yeah, I thought removing it from the chat message was enough, I don't
think it should have been made impossible to send disconnect messages.
It's absolutely essential for me as a community server operator for
example, people who are using VPNs, people trying to join when the
server is full (I have sv_visiblemaxplayers set below maxplayers so the
built in message wont show), people banned or trying to use a specific
feature, people who are sending too many commands (i.e. PASS time) and
dozens more. Now people have no clue why they are getting disconnected.
It made sense to remove it from the chat as clients were abusing it but
it shouldn't just be completely impossible for servers to send
disconnect reasons. And this was not just for matchmaking servers but
all servers including community servers. Please bring it back.