> Wouldn't they be stuck, though, if OfficeXP already works on OSX?  I'm
> not a programmer, but I do see your point.  Quick question: if an app
> works in OSX on the current hardware, does that app have to be
> completely rewritten for a different hardware platform even though it's
> still runing in OSX?  I believe that yes, that's the case, but...

It depends how 'raw' the OSX API is - having not seen it myself, I would
assume it would be reasonably platform independent.  And since Office
software shouldn't really rely on any particular feature of the target
platform, one would imagine they could recompile it on a different OS X
architecture with minimal changes.

Note I said recompile (which implies having access to the source); you can't
move compiled binaries from one architecture to another and expect it to
work.

So in conclusion?  Rewritten? No.  Recompiled? Yes.  Although when you're
talking about MS software; there's obviously very little difference.
Whether MS's software turns up on a particular platform is a business
choice, not a programming one.

Regards
Nathan