That's a pretty cynical view of everything.  If they DO make a couple of
extra bucks off it, more power to them.  But to perceive this as only a
way to get kids to buy more copies of HL...  Seems kind of like a low
blow to Valve.  They work their asses off creating a system that will
hopefully curb a significant chunk of the cheating that goes on out
there--in response to OUR fevered demands, and now when they get it set
up, you accuse them of only being in it to sell a couple extra copies of
HL...  Can Valve do anything where we don't try to screw 'em in the ear?
What are we going to do now, call for another server blackout?

First of all, I don't see that adding up, honestly.  Secondly, HL is a
tester's wet dream right now.  I'm sure all this stuff they've been
working on will show up in any new Valve products from the moment it
goes gold.

Please, I'm surprised at the negativity.  I say "Two thumbs up, Valve.
If I had a third, it'd be up, too!" :)

--
Eric (the Deacon remix)