> > I would never have considered running AMDs in a 1u rack
> mount regardless.
> > but if you did, I could see that heat could become a small problem,
> > especially if you cramming a few high speed HDDs into that
> small space as
> > well.  Satndard mini tower with front and back fans seems
> to run at room
> > temp in our data centre.
>
> Difference is, we cant afford to waste rack space on towers :)

Go here:

http://www.racksaver.com/products/RS1100Matrix.asp

And read this:

http://www.racksaver.com/clusters/index.asp

So, apparently RackSaver has no problem integrating 2 Athlon MPs into a 1U
chassis.  And, they offer a choice of motherboards in the 1U chassis, so
apparently they've created a few custom cooling solutions for Athlon MP in
1U, due to the different motherboard layouts.  If they're stuffing standard
19" racks full of the 1U dual Athlon MP servers to create supercomputing
clusters, I'd guarantee they've worked out any thermal issues.

StanTheMan
TheHardwareFreak
http://www.hardwarefreak.com
rcon admin at:
Beer for Breakfast servers        <http://bfb.bogleg.org/>
   209.41.98.2:27016 (CS multi-map)   209.41.98.2:27015 (DoD)
   209.41.98.2:27017 (CS militia/dust2)            Dallas, TX