There are lot of 1U servers that run dual AMD's. Can't understand why some of
you don't think it's any good. Sure there is some cost to develop the 1U
chassis and the one who has to pay is the customer. But if you need the space
to other things, well then there's really not much to do than to pay...

This is a pretty cool server, dual amd's and 4 U160 drives in 1U. oh, and there
is also a cd included :P
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1514&p=1

Quoting Stan Hoeppner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > > I would never have considered running AMDs in a 1u rack
> > mount regardless.
> > > but if you did, I could see that heat could become a small problem,
> > > especially if you cramming a few high speed HDDs into that
> > small space as
> > > well.  Satndard mini tower with front and back fans seems
> > to run at room
> > > temp in our data centre.
> >
> > Difference is, we cant afford to waste rack space on towers :)
>

> Go here:
>
> http://www.racksaver.com/products/RS1100Matrix.asp
>
> And read this:
>
> http://www.racksaver.com/clusters/index.asp
>
> So, apparently RackSaver has no problem integrating 2 Athlon MPs into a 1U
> chassis.  And, they offer a choice of motherboards in the 1U chassis, so
> apparently they've created a few custom cooling solutions for Athlon MP in
> 1U, due to the different motherboard layouts.  If they're stuffing standard
> 19" racks full of the 1U dual Athlon MP servers to create supercomputing
> clusters, I'd guarantee they've worked out any thermal issues.
>
> StanTheMan
> TheHardwareFreak
> http://www.hardwarefreak.com
> rcon admin at:
> Beer for Breakfast servers        <http://bfb.bogleg.org/>
>    209.41.98.2:27016 (CS multi-map)   209.41.98.2:27015 (DoD)
>    209.41.98.2:27017 (CS militia/dust2)            Dallas, TX

/Mvh Oscar