On Wednesday, July 23, 2003 1:07 PM [GMT+1200=NZT],
Eric (Deacon) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wow...how often does that happen?  Maybe since it's never happened to
> me, I didn't think about it.  Your connection to your ISP can be
> severed, reconnected, and for whatever reason assigned a new IP (talk
> about a weird way to configure DHCP servers...did the guy switch NICs
> all of a sudden?), and back in the game before you time out on the
> server?

It happened to one of my teammates in a league match just last night :(

It takes about 60 seconds to timeout from the server - on a DSL
connection you can disconnect and reconnect much quicker than that. And
in NZ at least, there is usually no lease time on IPs, ISPs always give
you a new IP when you connect - and DSL here tends to be a bit flakey so
disconnects are not altogether uncommon.

In any case, banning somebody for trying to connect with a key that is
already in use is a crazy idea. How can you tell which is the real owner
of the key? You can't.

-Simon