Ooks Server wrote:

The gui doesn't require squat in the way of resources.

I wouldn't say that. I am no one to provide formal benchmarks to prove numbers, but for one, open the task manager and put it on the process tab so you can see CPU load per app. Now start moving the task manager around. Watch Explorer jump up in CPU. Try opening a program in the back ground. What ever app it is that the task manager is in front of will start gobbling up CPU just by moving a Window, and lots. This is suppose to be solved with Longhorn's hardware accelerated GUI. Not that people go around movig windows all over the place as much as possible, but it shows load caused by the GUI portion.

Second, when my computer gets under heavy load I start to see screen
redraws take longer (moving or minimizing), especially on the apps
causing the load.  So something is not there that the GUI needs, and I
can only imagine that it's the resources you refer to as 'squat'.

--
- m0gely
http://quake2.telestream.com/