[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I haven't tried it, but I'm not sure how well it will work. I've sniffed the traffic thats flowing when updating steam before, and it seems to contact a master (authentication?) server in the US which then says use this content server. I'm not sure if the master server cares that you can't contact the server. I would hope the client would go, can';t get to that server, give me another.. but it's something worth playing with!

john

I can't say I'm having stellar successes right now. Steam seems to contact a master server (I've seen Valve Nos. 1, 2, 3, and 14) and uses that for a content server as well. If I disconnect my Internet connection, it tries a combination of those three and then says "Steam cannot connect blah blah blah".

I think _VALVE_ should do something to help us out here by
allowing to select a specific server, or at least specify our
(client) region, as this seems to be something that's going to
be an ugly hack, if it even works.

--AgentHH