So I'm going to weigh in here from a server admin perspective.

Personally, it seems to me the thrust of this debate so far has revolved
around petty complaints of semantics and name calling.

The facts as I see them are:

1) Valve included a documented and supported plugin interface allowing
for a menu system requiring the user to press escape and use a mouse to
access.

2) Valve also included a documented but not apparently supported method
for creating in game menu's

3) early plugin development used the first method and server Admins
universally requested a better method for menu's similar to the old AMX
system from HL1.

4) The mod community responded to this by using the second method and
plugins using this method were widely adopted by the server admin
community, because it allowed them to administrate their servers
mid-game with only a minimum disruption to their game.

5) Valve released an update which disabled this functionality and
nowhere in the release notes did they mention this functionality would
be going away.  The closest they came was this line "Made the radio menu
more responsive"

6) The mod community was bombarded with bug reports of their plugins
menu's suddenly not working and after investigation determined the menu
function they had been using had been deprecated.

What needs to happen in my opinion is that Valve needs to respond to the
needs and wants of the server admin community by extending their menu
API t allow for in-game menu's and further they need to at the very
least provide complete changelogs for releases so we know why a plugin
suddenly breaks.  It would of course be far better for Valve to work
more closely with the mod community to warn them of impending changes
and this is exactly what they have asked for.  But more importantly they
need to either listen to the user community and provide the tools they
ask for or allow plugin developers to find their own ways to satisfy
public demand without actively trying to limit their capabilities.

Just my opinion

Brian "Duck" Holmes
[H]ard|Gaming founder
www.hardgaming.com