>> If you had 25
processes that each constantly used up 2% of your CPU then you would
get a load average of 25. 25 processes, 25 load average.

Not quite sure where you get that from (if I'm reading it right,
apologies if not). Load is previously stated is the amount of
processes on average that are waiting.

For decent server performance (i.e gaming am referring to, webservers
for example you can get away with a lot more), I'd tend to try and
keep down to a load of 1, dual cpu's to a load of 2. I'd say you start
to get more noticable problems when you get to about double that, so
you can just about get away with a load of 2 on a single cpu system, 4
on a dual, but wouldn't want to run a box at those loads.