IPv6 in US, yes at least 1/2 a decade, in europe, they may have parts
set with IPv6, in which case, implementing this in the near future
would not be such a dumb idea. And also considering that right now
IPv6 > IPv4 & vice versa translations are possible. Just not multicast
traffic yet.

On 7/17/05, Steve Dalberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ok, it appears that you have heard about multicast, but haven't actually
> tried to use it...  First thing, the application (server and client)
> would have to support it...  Second, this would only work on a LAN or
> enterprise environment, as internet carriers do not share multicast
> routing info. And if it were a LAN, why bother, since bandwidth is not
> an issue...  Lastly, and I'm not sure on this, but I don't believe that
> all updates from a server to client are identical, but I'm not sure...
> Could be, in which case if everything above was obviated, then it would
> work.
>
> IPv6 does address this, as Multicast addresses will be a subset of IPv6
> larger networks, but it is still unclear of carriers will support actual
> multicasting.  Still about a decade off anyways (except for those in
> Asia maybe)
>
> krio the d34d1 wrote:
>
> >why not to use multicast, probably as an option, for server -> clients
> >packet flow?
> >lets see.
> >let "a" be the ammount of bytes to be send to specify a full one
> >player state at a frame(coords or whatever)
> >let "n" be the number of players.
> >
> >current way, if i get it right:
> >clients -> server: a*n
> >server -> clients: a*n*n (should be a*n*(n-1) but world isnt perfect)
> >sum: a*(n+n*n)
> >example 32 players: a*1056
> >
> >multicast way:
> >clients -> server: a*n
> >server -> clients: a*n
> >sum: 2*a*n
> >example 32 players: a*64
> >

> >that would erm cut like 93.9% of bandwidth used on a 32 slot server?

DJ Fadyeyev
Founder
e-Plutonia