> Valve does test
> each and every update.
> However, they do not have the varied system
> configurations that server
> admins/owners/gsp's in the community do. That is why
> SOMETIMES (and this is
> extremely rare) they have to release a patch, hope
> for the best, and address
> the bugs as they arise.

They don't have access to a single linux box? EVERY
linux server was down, not just a handful.

> More recently they have attempted to include the
> community in the beta
> testing, I think this is getting mixed results. But
> it is helping them to
> make a more stable server engine.
>
> Ok so lets look back over the development of hl and
> hl2 servers.
> Occassionally there have been issues, but the
> majority have been a smooth
> ride. And considering they are not charging a
> monthly fee for the constant
> updating, count your blessings. Because they could
> be like some other
> software giants and charge you a monthly fee for the
> steam and hldsupdate
> services. Thank the gods (Yes you employees at Valve
> know who you are) that
> they do not.

Like what was said before, if a monthly fee was
charged, you would see a shitload less servers out
there (I woulnd't run servers if I had to pay for the
updates), and therefore less people would buy the game
and less revenue for them.  If they were intelligent
about their business practices, they would save some
money from the assloads of sales they make and use it
in place of subscription based services, which it
seems they do :)

> And lastly, I would like to point out how quick a
> fix came out for the bug
> in last nights original update. You think you would
> get that kind of
> response from Sony, or Blizzard, or EA? Good luck.
> Be patient grab a cup of
> eggnog and let the coders work on the bugs.

When was the last time you say an update come out from
them that completely CRIPPLED an entire OS of servers?
 They beta test their releases before they make them
beta.  Valve should have beta tested this one to avoid
the flaming they got from it.  Yes, I admit they did
fix it quickly, but it was a bug that should never
have seen the light of day.  I mean, come on.  EVERY
Linux server was down!!

> Merry Christmas to those that celebrate it, and to
> those that don't happy
> holidays.

Agreed :)